Thursday, February 14, 2013

Review: Glory in Death by J. D. Robb

Glory In Death by J. D. Robb
Published by Berkley, 1995

It is 2058, New York City.  In a world where technology can reveal the darkest of secrets, there's only one place to hide a crime of passion - in the heart.

Even in the mid-twenty-first century, during a time when genetic testing usually weeds  out any violent hereditary traits before they can take over, murder still happens.  The first victim is found lying on a sidewalk in the rain.  The second is murdered in her own apartment building.  Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas has no problem finding connections between the two crimes.  Both victims were beautiful and highly successful women.  Their glamorous lives and loves were the talk of the city.  And their intimate relations with men of great power and wealth provide Eve with a long list of suspects--including her own lover, Roarke.  (Summary from Goodreads)

This book is the second in the In Death series and I enjoyed it as much as the first.  I am so glad to have a new series to glom, especially one with as many wonderful entries as this one...it will keep me busy for a good, long while!  

In this second entry, Eve is facing another high-profile case, one with ties to the police world as a prosecuting attorney has been found murdered.  Then an actress if found...Eve is able to successfully guess some of the motives for the murders including a need for attention and she sets herself up as bait.  This leads to an event that she did not see coming and which she has a hard time dealing with.

Eve is the same gutsy, determined woman who is dedicated to getting justice for the dead.  She is still dealing with her childhood demons and more of her history is revealed.  She is also finding her footing in her new relationship with Roarke, including how to deal with her new place in the spotlight which comes with being connected to someone like Roarke.  

Roarke, oh man.  He made such a romantic move in this book that gave me goosebumps!! I hesitate to say too much, but wow.  You will know it when you read about it.  And then, when he and Eve reach some really bumpy, rough times?  My heart was in my throat and I almost wanted to walk away from the book because I did not want to read about them hurting.  How I can care so much about two characters in the space of a book and a half is amazing to me. J.D. Robb does not take the easy road with her characters, she makes them feel, even when they would prefer not to.  Eve and Roarke have both dealt with issues that they would much rather shove into a closet and leave.  And yet, they don't.  They do the hard thing and that is why I love them so much. 

Watching both of these strong characters begin to bend and compromise is beautiful.  I like the mysteries, I enjoy the secondary characters, but I am reading these books for Eve and Roarke. What an amazing couple!

This book rates a 4/5.

I bought this book with my own funds from my local used book store.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Wow! Someone else who is only at the beginning of the In Death series. I have challenged myself to read 5 this year. #7 is my next one up. Like you I am reading them for the Eve/Roarke relationship.

    ReplyDelete