Monday, February 9, 2015

Sci Fi Experience Recap

                                          Sci Fi Experience Recap

I was excited to discover the Sci-Fi Experience hosted by Stainless Steel Droppings, as I have always thought that I should love science fiction and yet I have never really done much in the way of trying to read it.  My mom reads quite a bit of it and is always ready with a recommendation when I think about taking the dive into the genre but for whatever reasons, I never follow through. I think I worry that I won't like it and then I will officially not be part of the "cool kids club" but if I don't read it, the possibility that I will love it still exists.  So it was no surprise that I waited until only a couple of days remained in January before reading anything science fiction.  (I did watch a lot of Big Bang Theory, which while not sci-fi,  is about guys who love sci-fi, so it might count.) Then I picked up The Martian by Andy Weir from my public library and devoured it in one night.  While it read like an adventure story that just happened to take place in space, I do feel it was a great intro as it was very accessible for me as a reader.  My next step will be to read something slightly more "hard-core" sci-fi.  Any suggestions for a sci-fi newbie?  

No comments:

Post a Comment