Saturday, March 21, 2015

Birthday Month Reading Challenge: Bad Girls by Jane Yolen (Belated)

Bad Girls by Jane Yolen

Harlot or Hero?  Liar or Lady?  There are two sides to every story....

Contemplate clever Cleopatra and bear in mind brazen Bonnie (Clyde's girl) as you consider the circumstances that inform the guilt of innocence of twenty six infamous female felons.

Society has long looked at tough, smart, ambitious women and written them off as bad.  But whether it's a criminal act or a moral lapse, wrongdoing needs to be viewed within the context it occurred.  Then again, bathing in blood, poisoning pesky husbands, and axe-murdering your parents doesn't usually win a girl any fans! 

I loved this book co-written by mother-daughter team Jane Yolen and Heidi E. Y. Stemple that focuses on the bad girls of history.  I learned a lot, the writing was crisp and informative while also being just darn addictive, and the illustrations and graphic panels by Rebecca Guay were perfect for the topic(s) at hand.  There were several women that I had heard the names of but didn't know the history (Mata Hari, Jezebel, Ma Barker), several I had never heard of (Peggy Shippen Arnold - maybe my favorite of the book, Madame Alexe Popova, Tituba) and more that I knew some about but was able to deepen my knowledge base (Typhoid Mary, Bonnie Parker, Lizzie Borden.  Overall, I would highly recommend this book!

Reading Challenge
Birthday Month
105 Challenge
Authors A to Z
Full House
I Love Library Books

I borrowed this book from my local public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment