Monday, January 14, 2013

Review: Trust Me on This by Jennifer Crusie

Trust Me on This by Jennifer Crusie
Published by Bantam Books, 2010 re-issue

Dennie Banks is an investigative reporter chasing down the biggest story of her career.  Alec Prentice is a government agent working undercover to catch an elusive grifter.  When they meet by accident, it's a case of mistaken identities at first sight.  What they don't mistake is the instant attraction they have for each other, an attraction they'll do everything in their power to resist--because Dennie thinks Alec is running interference for her interview subject, and Alec suspects that Dennis is linked to his swindler.  As the confusion grows, so do their feelings for each other, and what begins as a romantic comedy of errors may just end in the love affair of a lifetime.



Oh my word!! This book was fantastic!  I saw it at my local library and was excited as I love Jennifer Crusie and hadn't yet read this book.  I checked it out and then...well...it sat on my end table.  Over the holidays my mom came to visit and was excited because she had discovered a Jennifer Crusie she hadn't read yet...three guesses which one.  My excitement re-engaged, I pulled Trust Me on This from the bottom of the pile and put it on top and then...well...it sat there.  This past weekend my mom asked what I thought of the Jenn Crusie book and I admitted I hadn't read it yet.  She highly recommended that I get my rear in gear and read it--NOW.  So I did.  And I kicked myself for not reading it sooner.  This book is a hoot!  It is funny and clever and witty and sly.  It is a book where there are so many relationships between the various characters that if you were to create a picture of how each character knows each other as well as what each character believes about the other it would be a big, fat mess.  But this book is not a mess - big, fat, or otherwise.  It is smart. 

The main characters, Alec and Dennie, have great conversations with some zippy one-liners that had me in stitches.  Harry, Alec's boss and Victoria, Alec's aunt, have a secondary relationship that was just as fun to read about as Alec and Dennie.  It was wonderful to read a romance story line about a mature couple who are established in their careers and are very content with who and what they are but know that there could be something more for the taking and who have honest conversations about compromise knowing there isn't an easy answer.  Between Alec, Dennie, Victoria, and Harry there is a wonderful story full of zip and zing...add in a shyster by the name of Brian Bond, his sometimes-sidekick Sheree, Victoria's friend (and Dennie's possible big-break) Janice, and Donald who is vying for Victoria's affections, put this book into over-the-top-craziness territory and yet it never gets out of hand.  This book is a keeper and will definitely be a comfort re-read--guess I better get my own copy as soon as I can!

This book rates a 5/5.  

No comments:

Post a Comment