Friday, January 9, 2015

The Lady and the Lion by Cynthia Kirk

For January’s Monthly Key Word challenge, I chose to use a variation of the word girl and read The Lady and the Lion which has been in my TBR pile for a VERY long time.   I don’t remember where I got it and neither the cover nor the blurb increased my confidence, but I ended up loving the book, proving once again to never judge a book by its cover!

The Lady: Blaming herself for her husband’s death, archaeologist Charlotte Fairchild had given up her greatest love: Egypt.  Then Dylan Pierce strode into her life.  Reputed to be the infamous “Lion,” he was said to plunder ancient tombs and a woman’s virtue with the same disregard.  But with a kiss as searing as the Sahara and as dangerous as a scorpion, he ignited a passion that rivaled anything she’d felt before.

The Lion: Welshman Dylan Pierce disdained European women and their well-bred sensibilities.  But there was nothing cold or uptight about Charlotte Fairchild.  She was as hot as the Egyptian sun and as fiery as its sands.  Dazzling and mysterious, she embodied everything he loved about Africa.  And loving the English lady would prove to be as wild and scorching as a desert whirlwind.

 I REALLY enjoyed this one!  To be honest, I thought it might end up as a DNF, but I was hooked from the first page when Charlotte pours a visiting English couple their tea, calmly pulls a pistol out of her pocket, and nonchalantly shoots a cobra that has entered their tent in the middle of the Egyptian desert.  Her complete aplomb through all of this was interesting and unusual and I wanted to get to know Charlotte better.  The more I discovered about her the more I liked.  When her husband died, I was happy because he did not deserve a firecracker like Charlotte.  And  Dylan.  Oh Dylan, how I loved you so!   Dylan was perfect for Charlotte.  He takes her seriously and doesn’t take himself too seriously at all and that is exactly what Charlotte needed.  And Charlotte’s family is equally fantastic.  I laughed more than once while reading this book.  This book sped by and while hints were given that a secondary character might be finding love soon, I cannot find any other books that appear to be written this author which is a true shame.  I would gladly read another Cynthia Kirk book as she has true talent! 

Reading Challenges
2015 Monthly Key Word Challenge
105 Challenge (new to me author)
2015 Around the World Challenge
2015 Historical Romance Reading Challenge
2015 TBR Pile Reading Challenge
2015 New to You


I purchased this book with my own funds…I just can’t remember where.    

No comments:

Post a Comment