Friday, January 29, 2016

Reading Assignment Challenge: Dark Lycan by Christine Feehan

Reading Assignment Challenge: Dark Lycan by Christine Feehan

Tatijana of the Dragonseekers spent centuries encased in ice with her sister, trapped in limbo between life and death, never speaking to a soul other than those who tormented her.  Now, she has been freed from her frozen prison by an unknown descendant.  Awakened in human form, Tatijana yearns to explore the modern world in which she now lives--a world with more mysteries than she is prepared for.   

Fenris Dalka has returned to the Carpathian Mountains after a long absence to be with his brother.  He is scarred by centuries of battle, and every hard-won victory.  But the real reason for his return home could prove deadly if discovered by the wrong man--or woman.  Upon his arrival, he is compelled by a beautiful and enigmatic stranger who carries the scent of fresh earth, of forest, of the night itself.

In time Tatijana and Fenris will discover all that unites them--their secrets and pasts, their predators, and the hot flush of passion that stirs their souls.  Yet just as surely, seduced into the silver darkness of a full-moon night, they'll also discover everything ancient and evil that exists to destroy them.

Why, oh why did it take me so long to get back into this series?  This was the question I asked myself over and over throughout the first chapter as I was sucked back into Christine's lush descriptive writing that completely immersed me back into the Carpathian Mountains and its paranormal inhabitants.  By chapter two I was no longer questioning my delay only because I was too deeply entrenched in the world and had no time to do anything except read as fast as my eyeballs could suck in the words.  

Tatijana and Fenris.  These two may be one of my favorite couples of the series.  Tatijana is determined to experience the world despite the many fears she has about the world.  It would be so much easier to stay in the healing arms of Mother Earth, but Tatijana didn't escape her ice cave prison only to waste her opportunities to actually experience her freedom.  Fenris is captivated with Tatijana from the first time he sees her and has a definite idea that she might be his lifemate.  However, he is in no hurry to find out as he is all too aware that he has turned into a creature that would be considered an abomination by the Lycans and which would put a death threat out on him.  Fate will not be thwarted and soon Tatijana and Fenris are merging two very different backgrounds into one incredible (and incredibly dangerous) future.  

There is a LOT going on in this book with Lycans being added to the cavalcade of characters, a new threat (threats?) that make some of the former enemies look tame, and one heck of a tease with the Dimitri and Skylar storyline which is featured prominently at times as they will be the center of the next book.  With all of that, I never felt that the romance between Tatijana and Fenris was short-shifted.  I loved the interactions between the two but there was no lack of external action either.  And, whoo-boy.  The introduction of quite a few possible male future leads also made for one happy reader as well!  I don't want this series to end too soon as I feel it is just now really hitting its stride with all of the high-stakes decisions that will soon have to be made between the Carpathians and the Lycans.  

If you have read this book you know I am skimming over 98% of what happens in this book.  If you haven't read it, I don't want to give anything away because I feel that this book is best experienced first hand.  Now I am off to find Dark Wolf as I must know what is going on with Dimitri and Skylar!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment