Saturday, February 27, 2016

Assumption by Aurora Rose Reynolds

Assumption by Aurora Rose Reynolds

[as-sump-tion:]
a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof

They say when you assume that you make an ass out of you and me.

Kenton Mayson learned this lesson firsthand when he made assumptions about Autumn Freeman and the kind of woman she is based on what little information he had.  What he finds out is she's not only beautiful, but also smart, funny, a fighter, and exactly the kind of woman he wants to share his life with.

Autumn made assumptions of her own about Kenton, and now he needs to prove her wrong in order to protect her and their future.

Autumn is the witness to a mob-hit that kills five people in the strip club she works at in Vegas.  For her protection, a friend sends her to stay with Kenton Mayson in Tennessee.  Kenton makes some asinine comments based on his knowledge of her being a stripper, often lodging his foot so deeply into his mouth it is a miracle he was ever able to walk again.  Time after time, he would apologize only to react in the same knee-jerk way soon after.  The biggest black mark against him, in my opinion, is that he never changed his ways until he saw Autumn in the ER when she is working the night shift.  She used the money she earned stripping to put herself through nursing school and is working on getting the needed hours to finish her degree.  I would have preferred that Kenton alter his opinions of Autumn while he still believed her to be a stripper rather than only having it happen after it is proven she is no longer in the profession.  It felt like an easy out and almost as if she was suddenly good enough for him when nothing had changed in any way about her personality or her choices.  

Beyond that quibble, this book is a fun one with more action than I was anticipating.  There was a crazy ex of Mayson's who was fun to hate and while Autumn did one incredible job of giving her her just desserts, if felt like she went away too easily.  The same with Autumn's mom who we are given hints of throughout the book--she is one horrific piece of work but the sum total of page time given to her is a couple of pages at the very end of the book and it just felt tacked on and too rushed.  Once Kenton finally got over himself, he was quite a sweetie, albeit with a bit of a temper.  He was so frustrated with Autumn's self-defense mechanisms.  He would get through one of her barriers and she would quickly erect many more to replace it...and yet he kept coming back for me.  He was willing to fight for her when no one else ever had.  

Kenton, like the other Maysons in the Until series, has an amazing family that he brings to the table and I think Autumn fell in love with them just as much as she did with Kenton...and Kenton's friend Justin is amazing.  I want his story!  He is different in the fact that while I am sure he can be a major badass, he is much more lighthearted than many of the males dominating Reynolds' books.  While much of the story was a bit familiar as I have read so many of Reynolds' books in a relatively short period of time, I still felt that this was one of the better ones.  I liked Autumn and Kenton on a fundamental level and wanted to see them get their happy ever after.  I will give a warning though: there were a couple of scenes that are fairly graphic compared to the rest of Reynolds' books.  One in particular made me wish I had skimmed it rather than actually reading it.  I know this review reads like I had mostly quibbles with this book but I really did enjoy it greatly...maybe that is why the few negative parts bothered me more, it was so close to reaching the high point that I felt after reading Until November.  

No comments:

Post a Comment