Sunday, February 21, 2016

Until July by Aurora Rose Reynolds

Until July by Aurora Rose Reynolds

Wes Silver wasn't looking for love, but when July Mayson literally knocks him on his ass during their first encounter, his world is turned upside down by the quirky blond, and every moment with her makes him more determined to protect her.  

July Mayson doesn't understand the pull she feels toward the bad boy biker Wes Silver, but she knows being with him is like nothing she's ever felt before.  Now all she has to do is tell her overprotective father, Asher Mayson, that she's found her boom.

Despite the fact that I do not enjoy biker romances, I did end up enjoying Until July.  I think that it could be considered biker-lite.  While there were aspects of the book (usually dealing with Wes's MC) that I didn't care for (the scantily clad women who rubbed themselves over Wes, the way that Wes used the term bitch to be even more derogatory than it normally is) overall I enjoyed enough of the story to read it in its entirety.  At some point, the MC stuff became more background noise for me rather than in-your-face obnoxious and I was able to settle in and enjoy the book.  

Wes is a true jackass in several of his early interactions with July; part of it seemed to be written to underscore his biker bad-ass-y-ness (although he just seemed petulant and immature) and part of it to show us how alpha he is (again, didn't serve him well).  But, July tended to stand up for herself initially, although she caved fairly soon after in order to further the story's plot.  There was enough backbone there for me to keep reading and soon Wes seemed to level out to more of the sexy male I have gotten used to from Reynolds and less of the self-absorbed jerk.  

There are several plot lines going on in this story but it seemed like most of them happened in the background--this was a story where the reader is told that a lot is going on but you don't really see it in action.  Most of the action dealt with July and Wes getting together which was a mostly smooth process after their first few encounters.  Neither Wes nor July are my favorite Reynolds characters as they felt as if I had read them both before...they felt interchangeable with other Until story characters.  And yet...the writing still had enough zing to it to keep me turning pages through to the end.  I do hope that the next Reynolds book I read feels a little more original and the male lead needs to be a LOT more likable.

No comments:

Post a Comment